Home Forums Technology in Teaching February 2019 2.1 Three Case Studies

7 replies, 4 voices Last updated by  Sabela Fernández Vila 4 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Author

Dan Methven
    Keymaster
    @dan

Which of the 3 case studies would work best with your own students? What technology skills would you and your students need to develop to carry out any of these case study projects?

Friederike Lechtermann
    Participant
    @friederike

First I’ll point out the role of new technologies in the three cases and the additional benefit.
    Case 1
    The story book enables even silent and self-conscious pupils to take part in a big interactive project. It may appear very up to date to their mates and parents what gives them a feeling of pride. Another advantage is the interaction between different subject as well as teachers. That often is a new chance and challenge for children who have a lack of confidence or who have problems with one or more teachers. A great way for inclusion, too.

Case 2
    The dictation text invented by the students are a good opportunity to involve them into the lessons. They have to recapitulate and rethink the previous lesson to write their texts. The additional output is the plus for their pronounciation taught by their teacher. Last but not least the gain self confidence, because students influence their next lesson and can show off with their written texts which might be an accelerator to the learning efficiency.

Case 3
    Nowadays interacting technologies are the basis of a student’s life at uni. Most of them have to much to do/learn/work to meet for every project or presentation. Instead they meet only sometimes in person and prepare their presentations online using different tools to write and create them at the same time from wherever they are. It’s a good medium to get everyone involved and make the most of it in a very limited time.

I think case one and two are a good idea for my lessons. My students don’t want to spend too much time on learning English, but are, theoretically, always interested in new ideas. So I’m going to as them about participating in writing a story book as well as short texts on the previous lessons. They can decide to write a part of a fictional story or a short text in past tense. They can use the forum of our learning platform to create a story/ write a dictation text. Maybe I can motivate them to make a short film of the story. We will see!

Dan Methven
      Keymaster
      @dan

Hello!

Case 1
      A big advantage of a project like this is that students have the potential to play to their strengths and work on areas that they feel comfortable with – so everyone is (maybe!) happy to get involved. And, you alluded to this, students with special needs would be better able to contribute to / access the story book, too.

Case 2
      I think reformulating / retelling something you have learned is a great way of a) seeing if the students REALLY understand what they have learnt and b) a great aid to memory – a lot of kids’ TV shows here in the UK end by summarising what has happened in that episode. And yes, I’m sure it must be very empowering to be the student that makes the Voki – have you worked with Voki? I’ve used it a few times and while it is a little basic, it takes away the fear students have of being on video (also good for data protection!)

Case 3
      I agree but do you think there is a chance that we may lose something by not interacting face to face so much?

I’ll be really interested to find out how your suggestions are received – good luck! Dan

Friederike Lechtermann
    Participant
    @friederike

Well, until now there was no reaction, because there was no action either:(
    The problem was that I had to deal with new students who turned up unexpectedly and were followes by problems dealing with their access to the learning platform etc.
    As the other students were expecting to go on as well as to discuss the pricing of the institution and having lessons during school holidays there was no time left to introduce them to a new project…
    Maybe I try to whilst staying in Scarborough.

Fernanda Tordera Méndez
    Participant
    @fernanda

I find all three cases fantastic and very useful for learning new concepts and new ideas.
    In my opinion, the case 3 would work best in my school due to the characteristics of my students.
    The problems would be to have enough time to work all the subject by projects and to have all the year of a computer room for the search of information.

Dan Methven
    Keymaster
    @dan

Hi Fernanda,

I hope you had a great weekend.

Project work can be a great way to integrate technology as it can often be kept separate from our normal syllabus. Have you use a wiki with your students? And time is ALWAYS a challenge 🙂

Bye for now, Dan

Fernanda Tordera Méndez
    Participant
    @fernanda

Hi Dan! Yes, I have used wiki on several occasions but in a one-time way to some tasks of information search, nothing else.

Sabela Fernández Vila
    Participant
    @sabela

Hi!
    A very usual activity with the students is the case three. They work in groups on a specific topic and present it to other colleagues using power point.
    I like Ana’s idea about the podcast project but I would need help. I never worked with Voki.

The forum ‘Technology in Teaching February 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.